Saturday, November 16, 2013

Your 1 Minute Guide to Happiness

So I'm reading about happiness in my social psychology book, and what do I find? Three things that you have control over that will make you happier.

1. Engage in positive social relationships.
2. Flow. Get lost doing what you love!
3. Help others.

:)

OK, so they seem pretty obvious, but there is one other thing that seems to "obviously" make us happy. Things. We think that having things makes us happy. Research shows that this is not true, and actually the opposite. Focusing on money and material possessions makes us less attuned to the moment. What a shame.

On the other hand, research shows that having healthy social interactions, practicing your passions, and performing random acts of kindness make us happier! (The social thing is actually correlational, but you get my point. And if you'd like me to explain further, just ask and I will be happy to.)

And if you'd like an interesting video on happiness, here is the lovely Dan Gilbert:



TL;DR: Happiness=awesome friends, hobbies, and helping!

P.S. I have been fiddling with the format of my page. Just trying what I feel works best. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment