Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving Work Week Day #3: I am Homo sapien and so are you

I am going into the world of religion and nationality, goodness help me.


Have you ever heard someone say, "She's French, but her husband is Jewish."
or
"I hear you're marrying a Canadian guy. Is that going to work, since you're Muslim?"
or
"Are you making apple pie tonight? I can bring some oranges."

To me they all sound like the last one. I have been hearing religion compared to nationality my entire life. Well, it doesn't make sense. You can't compare a belief system to your place of birth/living. Why do people do this?! It drives me insane!!!

We're all human, baby!

So this holiday season (can you smell the cinnamon and nutmeg yet?), be aware that people may celebrate in ways that combine a nation's traditions and a religion's holiday, and any combination is A-OK. (As long as we're all playing nice.) My family is Polish, but we celebrate an American holiday. Your family might be Buddhist and celebrate Hannukah. Who knows? And honestly, who cares? As long as celebrations/traditions are treated with due respect, I think all kinds can be celebrated by whoever wants.

Regarding the history of Thanksgiving, I don't know enough about the complicated going-ons of Europeans and Native Americans to discuss it, but I do know one thing. The fact the humans have so many different cultures is amazing and beautiful, but thinking that we are not all in this together is pretty dumb. So go crazy today after you get off work and go hug a fellow human or something. :)

You can even play this, and make a dance party:



Maybe you need something a little less enthusiastic (and less painful):





TL;DR: "I'm made of atoms, you're made of atoms, we're all in this together." Ben Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment