Sunday, November 17, 2013

Mother Nature

Exactly two weeks ago, I was driving home, and I saw an absolutely gorgeous sunset. The clouds were a color that I don't have a word for, but my closest description is pink. Today, two weeks later, I saw a huge, almost-full, orange moon, rising from the horizon. It is times like these that Nature strikes me with her simple beauty. Her beauty is difficult to capture, because part of her mesmerizing quality is her unpredictability.

There are other times, like earlier today, when Nature shows me exactly how powerful she is, and how defenseless we are. My boyfriend and I stared out a window as hail spattered the ground and the wind became so strong that it got scary. We later discovered that a tornado devastated his hometown. I've never seen wreckage due to a natural disaster up close. It was humbling. It could have been my hometown. It could have been yours.

I believe Mother Nature is telling us to pay attention to her. Almost like an elderly grandmother who scolds her children when they forget to water her plants when she's away.

Mother Nature does not scold the child who performed the wrong. She scolds us all. Her power is tremendous, and we are fools to not respect her.

Here's one of my favorite parts in one of my favorite movies:
In WALL-E, the captain of the Axiom waters the plant that he does not completely understand. Then he says something along the lines of, "There you go, little buddy. All you needed was someone to take care of you." And with this comes his eureka moment. Mother Nature needs us to take care of her.

This post does not do justice to everything I think about when I consider our relationship with the Earth. I'm just going to let it sit here though, as a reminder to myself that something needs to be done. Meanwhile, my prayers go to those affected by today's tornado.

TL;DR: Don't forget to water your grandmother's plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment