Friday, November 29, 2013

It's not Christmas, it's the Day After Thanksgiving.

I detest Black Friday, and it's really hard to look on the positive side of things today.

What gets me riled up? People getting up at ridiculous hours of the morning to stand in line in below freezing weather so they can buy things they don't need. Nothing does the job better.

We live in America, friends. Where apparently more is better. And more is never enough. We should rebel against this mentality! Let's be rebels together!

Here are 50 things to do other than get mauled by shoppers today. I stumbled upon this website (not actually using StumbleUpon, and how weird is it that I feel I have to explain myself for using that phrase?) and it seems awesome. Their slogan? "Finding the Satisfaction of Enough." Love it :)


If you would like to use some of your day off reading about how our culture provokes things like Black Friday, instead of actually participating in such vile events (am I being too harsh?), here is an absolutely mind-blowing article that puts together the pieces.

Lalala.

After living in Italy for a few months, coming back to America was weird. Everything is so rushed and urgent. Eating with your family is not a priority here. Eating quality food is not a priority here. Dressing up every day in presentable, flattering
clothes is not a priority here. I am generalizing. I know there are people here who love all these things, but I definitely feel like the minority.

Anyway, I am spending my day-after-Thanksgiving organizing my room, doing homework, and thinking of what I will make or buy for my family and friends this year. I think that is much more productive than being fooled by retailers into spending lots of mulah.

Make a delicious cheesecake, or get trampled by shoppers? I'll take the former.

TL;DR: Fun fact: Black Friday only became the biggest shopping day of the year in 2005. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment