Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Nurture: Reusable Products

Take a moment to think of what you consider "repulsive." Is it something natural, such as bodily fluids, or is it something artificial, such as cosmetic products?

For those of you who find natural things repulsive, I would like to ask you to reconsider. For those of you who find artificial things repulsive, hooray for being my new best friend. This post is about some reusable options for products that are accepted in our society as disposable. The term disposable is yucky! Don't look for it! It makes no sense to use something once, then throw it away! (OK, there are some cases, but here are a few things you might want to look in to.)

1. Handkerchiefs

I have to be honest on this one. I don't use handkerchiefs. But starting today I am! Turns out someone's got the sniffles, and given it's the first time I'm sick since my passionate outbreak to change the way I live, I have to get me some handkerchiefs. Not only are they super pretty (!) (or manly, you could get those too), but it will be much nicer to wipe my nose with something soft. And my nose will be so happy that I am not throwing away dozens of facial tissues that it will even agree not to be red!

Click here on a quick guide on how to make your own. :)

2. Shopping Bags

If you kept every bag you were given when you went to a store, how many would you have right now? We've got loads of them, and they are great to re-use when packing for a trip, but we really don't need any more. I keep one reusable bag in my car at all times, so I never forget it at home. And when I forget it in my car (whoops), I feel so bad that I carry my groceries in my arms. My suggestion is to have a few available: designated bags for groceries, clothes, and miscellaneous.

Also, you don't even have to buy reusable bags. When I studied abroad, I used my backpack as my grocery bag. ;)

3. Menstrual Products, for my ladies

Time to get personal. I used to hate my time of the month. Until I got a hold of two things that transformed my life. Without any pushing, some women close to me have also changed their ways and they love it.

I'll let you do the research yourself, but if you're confused, just call me or something. :)

Cloth pads:
PIMPs 
Glad Rags
Lunapads

AND THEY'RE SO FREAKING CUTE. Again, you can make your own, get them from Etsy, AND you can even donate them to girls who are unable to attend school because of their period. (I found this website in two minutes--there are plenty of organizations that are working to get women the products they need.)

Menstrual cups:
DivaCup
Lunette
Mooncup
Miacup

I know it seems weird. Trust me, I know. But it really isn't.  :) There are plenty of blogs about these things that explain everything.

P.S. This saves A LOT of waste, and A LOT of money. And here's a good way to remember that "a lot" is two words.

4. Make-up Wipes

How many cotton balls do you go through a day? Surprise! You have options.

5. Diapers

I'm pretty sure my internet audience does not consist of many parents with babies. Perhaps this website will help you feel like you have an option other than disposable when the time comes. Just read the first page!

6. Towels

Again, I'm way guilty here. In my opinion, my family uses too many paper towels. They're convenient. But my patience with disposable-product-convenience has run out. Time to use regular towels, and keep the paper towel usage to a minimum! Anyone with me?

7. Snack Bags/Anything to Not Use One-Use Plastic Bags

I've recently become passionate about sewing (more on this later), and when I got my hands on laminated cotton fabric, the first thing I made was a snack bag.

If I can make this, anyone can.
There are video tutorials on YouTube, and instructions online on how to make these if you don't want to buy them. You can use old t-shirts you never wear, and then have a yummy snack of figs or something at work. Yay!

I also made a slip-in holder for my toothbrush, instead of using a plastic baggie. (I don't have a travel shell/case/thingamajigger.) The point is to be creative! And colorful. Colors are good. :D



And on that note, I leave you to your earth-loving ways.

TL;DR: If there is something you throw out regularly, there's probably something you can replace it with that is also a lot cuter.

No comments:

Post a Comment