Monday, August 12, 2013

My Favorite Ingredients (to not eat?)

This summer I began cutting harsh chemicals out of my life. When I got to the part where I clean out my bathroom, I had to make some strict rules of what I keep. I love my yummy-smelling lotions and unnecessary hair products as much as any other girl, and I had to do my research to find substitutes. I was definitely on the path to becoming one of those women who buys a 3-ounce bottle of moisturizer for $50, because it contains "all the best ingredients." And what I found was that the natural stuff works way better than any product I've ever bought.

The most important thing to consider when using any product is that your skin is absorbent. The easiest rule to give yourself when using something is if you wouldn't put it in your food, you shouldn't be putting it on your skin. If for some reason you need convincing that your skin is absorbent, have you heard of nicotine patches? They release nicotine into your system, just by being on a patch that you stick on your body. Same thing goes for the birth control patch.

So here are my beauty secrets, although they aren't really secrets if plenty of women blog about them already. :) I'm not going to tell you why they help, I am not a scientist. I just know that they work, and they work for a lot of people.

1. Honey
  • face/body mask
  • breakout treatment
  • sparkle like Edward Cullen in the sun
There are so many recipes for fancy, combinations of honey masks on our wonderful World Wide Web. Other ingredients probably help make things less sticky, but I don't mind. Keeps it from falling off my face! You don't need a lot at all. Just pour some honey (preferably local!) on your hand, and use your fingers to dab. Keep it away from your hair. I'm sure there are people who make honey masks for their hair, but I've never done it. It comes off your skin very easily with some lukewarm water. You can use it everyday! It will bring out the yucky stuff on your skin, so things might look worse before they're better. That's just how it works. :)

2. Coconut oil
  • lotion/moisturizer
  • lip balm
  • hair mask
  • soothing agent
Again, you don't need a lot. With all of the ingredients on this list, you don't need a lot. A little definitely goes a long way. If you put it in your hair, put conditioner on your hair for a few minutes before you wash it out. And wash it out with WARM water. Cold water, or weather, will make the oil harden, and that's the opposite of what you want. Shiny, soft hair. I use it on sunburn as well :)

3. Jojoba oil
  • make-up remover!
  • moisturizer
You can use jojoba oil on your reusable cloth makeup remover pads. ;) I like to also use it as a moisturizer when I get tired of coconut oil.

4. Baking soda
  • scrub
  • tooth whitener
  • shampoo
It's a perfect, gentle scrub (no, I don't want no [harsh] scrub--looks like they need some jojoba oil). Mix it with water in a little bowl, just enough to make it mushy. You can brush your teeth with it too, although it doesn't taste very nice. I've used it as shampoo once or twice, but I don't know how I feel about it. 

5. Apple cider vinegar
  • toner
  • breakout treatment
  • hair conditioner
  • block out any other scent
I love this stuff. I put it on with my reusable cloth makeup remover pads (have I convinced you to get some yet?) after I scrub with baking soda. Once it dries, the smell goes away. (But if you start sweating you can smell it again! Solution: put it on before bed and rinse your face in the morning.) You can use it in your hair and rinse it out, and your hair will look shiny and feel soft.


Do I look like Edward yet?

For most of this post I've had honey on my face. I think a combination of using these things (along with a better diet) has decreased the early rosacea I had on my cheeks. The dermatologist gave me some chemical stuff, but I thought I don't even know what this is! Why am I putting it on my face?! You can also switch off using coconut oil and honey as a lip treatment. I have a tendency to bite my lips, and they really help.



TL;DR: Honey, coconut oil, jojoba oil, baking soda, and apple cider vinegar are your new best friends, my friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment