Monday, August 18, 2014

My Body is Really, Really Smart

I've realized over the past year that listening to my body is one of the best things I can do for myself. I can't believe it's taken me this long to figure out that my body is telling me what it needs, what it likes, and what it doesn't.

How I used to think about my body

  • pimples: Why does my face want to humiliate me?
  • stomach ache: I probably just ate too much chocolate. Whatever.
  • tense shoulders: Schools give too much homework, otherwise I would never be hunched over like this.
  • achy feet: Will companies ever make comfortable and aesthetic shoes?
  • hair falling out: I don't know why my hair hates me.


I noticed that I blamed everything but myself for hurting my body. I blamed my homework, the shoe company, the grocery store. Sure, none of these symptoms were drastic enough to prompt a visit to the doctor, but they were definitely there.

While many events created this change within me (cue Wicked music), one of the biggest moments that changed the way I think about myself happened earlier this year. My friend, Maggie, asked me, "How do you feel?" I was confused. There was nothing overtly "wrong" with me, and I wasn't sure how to respond. She said, "I mean, how do you really feel?"

Ever since then, I have paid attention to how I feel instead of ignoring myself. This isn't just physically, but emotionally too. Especially because the two are linked, whether you like it or not. So I started to listen to my body, and I learned that my body is really, really smart.

How I think about my body now

  • pimples: Have I been touching my face too much? What did I eat today that may have caused this?
  • stomach ache: Am I anxious about something? Did I eat something bad today? I should avoid it tomorrow.
  • tense shoulders: How did I sleep last night? Do I need to add some relaxation exercises throughout my day?
  • achy feet: I'm donating those boots. I promise to only buy comfortable shoes.
  • hair falling out: Have I changed my diet recently? What chemicals am I putting in my hair?

Turns out that asking myself these questions has drastically changed my lifestyle. I no longer buy uncomfortable shoes, I know what I am putting in and on my body, and I am in tune with my emotions. Once I became conscious of the choices I was making, I could figure out the causes of my problems. I felt healthier and happier. And most importantly, I accepted responsibility for I how feel.

You decide whether or not to see the signs your body is giving you. I suggest asking your body how it feels, because it's the only one you've got.


TL;DR: Your body is smart. Listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment