Friday, January 10, 2014

How to Make Driving Fun

While I don't advocate driving just for the experience (unless you're learning, that's important), 75.7% of U.S. commuters drive alone to their job. Alone. Allll byyyy themselvesssss. And while I'm not trying to be depressing here, it is not only inefficient (you can carpool), it is a time that I hear commuters complain about regularly. Here are some ways you can make your commuting experience positive. Then when your coworkers are complaining about their commute, you can smile and send them to read this list.


  1. Carpool. I know some people don't have this option. You may be the only _______ Co. employee in a three county radius. And you may have different positions, which might make having a set time to arrive and leave difficult. So that's fine. If you do happen to leave near someone though, suggest carpooling. It will give you someone to talk to, and at the same time you can split gas costs.
  2. Grab an audiobook from the library. When I first started driving, I was unhappy because I couldn't read as a driver. Super lame that I have to keep my eyes on the road, right? But several months ago, I discovered the lovely benefits of borrowing an audiobook from the public library. I was wary of becoming drowsy while listening to it, but it actually kept me more alert. I do switch off between music, an audiobook, and silence, though. It keeps me more on my toes. :) See my "book resources" tab above for recommendations.
  3. Note: I don't suggest wiggling your head so much.
  4. Get some exercise. Move that booty! On long drives, when I don't want to stop to let the blood flow back to my bum, I play some music to squeeze my glutes to. (Against my better judgment, I am telling the world personal information because I don't want you to suffer "dead-butt." It's really uncomfortable when your butt falls asleep.) I also wiggle my arms around (always keeping one on the wheel) and do a small gecko groove.
  5. Drive in silence. It may be weird at first, but I get to those points where I just need to be able to think in silence, and it's very enjoyable. If you have a crazy-busy world with a lot of noise, try this out, you might like it. It's also easier to think-out-loud if there's no audio playing. Which brings me to my next point.
  6. Talk to yourself. Yeah, you might feel silly. You may also feel awesome! Sometimes I don't even realize that something is on my mind or bothering me, until I let it out. Warning: I don't recommend this if you are prone to crying (joy, sadness, it might still get you).
  7. Notice something new on every commute. It's amazing what paying attention can do. I can't tell you how many times I've driven past something and not even processed it exists. Now, staring out the side window probably isn't the best idea, but try to remember one or two new restaurants or such every day. You'll also develop a better memory about the area, and perhaps even discover a new place to eat.

I sincerely hope you enjoy your time driving. It's time that can be fun, I promise.


TL;DR: Your commute is what you make of it. Make it fun!


Statistics taken from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment